Tom's Shoes

Hey guys, no beauty post today but I wanted to let you guys know of a charitable cause that is very dear to my heart. When I would visit the Dominican Republic as a child, I would observe countless kids walking the streets without shoes. We as a country take for granted how important shoes are, but the fact of the matter is there are a whole host of diseases that can be transmitted if you don't wear shoes.
Anyway, Tom's Shoes is a great concept. The founder of the company visited Argentina, and saw that many poor children didn't have shoes and would get many types of foot illnesses. So his idea was to create a shoe company that for every shoe you buy, they donate a shoe to a child in need. In 2006 they donated 10,000 pairs to poor children in Argentina and 50,000 to kids in South Africa. This year they plan to donate 200,000 shoes to kids. I think this is a great cause and there is nothing more beautiful than charity.

Here is a video that Tom's Shoes made showing Ethiopians who suffer from Pondoconiosis.

www.tomsshoes.com

Big Hugs,

DE

5 comments:

Wes said...

GREAT post... With so many sicknesses in the world, this is surely one that can easily be prevented. I love what TOMS is doing. This is what the holidays should be about- helping others in need- not Black Friday and Cyber Monday. Gimme a break.

Brown Girl Gumbo said...

Fantastic post! Thanks so much for enlightening me. I had never heard of Tom's Shoes, but how wonderful!

MakeupByRenRen said...

wow that's so shocking to see that...i'm so glad you posted this to make us all aware

Roselyn said...

So happy that you posted this. I remember growing up and my mom would bop me on the head each time when I would want to "throw out" old shoes and sneakers that I barely wore for more than 6-7 months at a time. In most cases (as I'm sure you know) in third world contries shoes that ARE made at an affordable price for lower-income families are usually of very poor quality and wear away immediately. And then those shoes that are of brands (Nike,etc) are sold for triple of their U.S. price; so for those who can't travel to the states and can't afford paying outrageous prices for footwear they solely rely on hand-me-down's from relatives; and they are so vital in need. Clothing and footwear are just as scarce in these locations as is the money. Some people truly forget that, but when you walk the real streets out there you are quickly reminded.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for doing an entry on Tom's shoes. It's a great charity.

Share This

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...