Dominican Salon Review # 5-Elia Beauty Salon

In 2006 Latina magazine voted Elia Beauty salon to be the best Dominican Salon in the United States . As a Dominicana, I was curious to go over there, and when I found out that my buddy lived a few blocks away, I made sure to make the trip. I’m happy to say that I did.
Interior: The salon itself is very pretty. They have these really beautiful chandeliers on top with burgundy walls. There are 5 hair-do stations
Photobucket
3 hair washing stations,
Photobucket
and 6 hair dryers stations.
Photobucket

Customer Service.

When I walked in, I was immediately greeted with a smile by one of the hairstylist who asked me what I wanted. I advised her I wanted a wash/set and she asked me to fill out a “Check in Sheet” The sheet asks basic questions like your name, reason for coming, how your hair/scalp is and how would you like your hair styled. I thought that was incredibly interesting. Then because I was a new customer, I was told I should fill out a customer questionnaire because they wanted to evaluate my hair. I liked that! The ladies then offered me some coffee and some poland spring water. How nice was that. I noticed that the salon clientele was a great mix of people, from Caucasians, African Americans and Asians. Upon looking at the walls, I notice that every single person styling hair in this salon had a license. I was pleased. Many Dominican salons do not have many licensed hairstylist working there. I then met Elia, who is the owner. This woman is so friendly to the customers. She seemed to know everyone’s name. She then evaluated my hair and even my hair products. It was then that I realized that she was incredibly knowledgeable about hair and the ingredients in the products.

Quality of products: I was in shock at how many really good and high-end products this salon offers. They had products like Frederick Fekkai, Phyto, Chi, Ojun, Biolage Luna, but they also do offer Dominican products.
Photobucket

Hair: My hair wash was very relaxing. The woman that washed my hair was thorough. She massaged my scalp, and I was in heaven. She then put my hair in curlers and gave me ear covers wrapped in tissue paper (for sanitary purposes). Love love love it! I showed them a picture of how I wanted my hair done and Rocio (the hairstylist) assured me she would do it exactly the way I wanted it. After drying for around 60 minutes, I was led to Rocio, who immediately removed the curlers and began lightly blow drying my hair, while curling my hair with her fingers and pins. She took her time with my hair, and then when she was done curling it with her fingers, she asked me to sit under the dryer for 5 more minutes. After I did that, she took the curls out, told me to wiggle my hair, and voila! It came out exactly like I wanted it. Full of body and with a nice wave to the front. I was super happy! I also observed another girl getting her hair done. Her hair was probably Texture 3b, and it really looked superb. She was from the Bronx , but comes to Elias to get her hair done.
Here’s my Hair
Photobucket

Pricing: The pricing is a little high here. I paid $30.00 for mine but I’ll be honest, I loved loved loved my hair and think it was totally worth it.

Cons:
Without a doubt, this salon needs more hair wash stations. Three is not so great (what happens when it gets busy) and the price was a little more than what I’m used to in Dominican Salons.

After I got my hair done, I spoke to Elia and asked her a few questions. Many of my friend are non-relaxed beauties, and I wanted to make sure that this salon was fully equipped in dealing with them. She said that they dealt with all types of hair and had no problems with that.

On a scale from 1-5, this salon gets a solid 4.5. The customer service, the interior, and my hair were all fabulous!

Here's a plus! If you go to Elia’s and say you came from BeautyLogic, they will give you a free deep mask which retails for $15.00.

Let me know what you think!

Elia Hair Salon
850 Amsterdam Ave
New York , NY 10025
Between 101 and 102nd street
Take the 1 Train to 103rd street
212-316-3100

19 comments:

IbisCaraib said...

Wow I live so close but never knew it was there. I'll check it out.

Jawahir said...

I've actually been here before and was not so pleased with my results. I agree the customer service is nice and they do have good products, but the end result was not what i wanted. I wanted my hair straight. You know the routine ladies, blowdry then flat iron. For some reason the results were less than stellar. I had Rocio too and it seemed like she didn't know how to work the flat iron and excessively used heat on my hair. I am dominican with about 3c hair. I was disappointed for the price I paid.

MakeupByRenRen said...

wow sounds like heaven, i wish i was up there...i'd so check it out...they don't have as many dominican salons down here

BonafideLatina~ said...

Ooooh great it's on the 1 train...I'm there :)
Your hair came out GREAT!

Anonymous said...

Your hair looks gorgeous! Do you know of any Dominican Salons that are located in Northern California? I would love to try one of these rollersets.

beautylogicblog said...

Yaya, thanks for sharing your experience. My cousin went recently too and she has very curly Dominican hair as well, but Rocio didn't do her hair, some other stylist did it, and it came out very nice. It lasted long too.

Anonymous said...

I'm going to check it out for my next appointment...I just went to Mirror Image yesterday!

Wes said...

$30 isn't bad at all- Especially since you have long hair. I usually pay about $25 whenever I go but I haven't been in awhile and my hair has surely grown since then. Love the salon reviews- Keep 'em coming!

Joi said...

Looks Great! I love your hair and the cut looks amazing!

BonafideLatina~ said...

OMG DE I went to Elia's last week to get my hair done for Thanksgiving Day and I loved it!!! The service was unlike any Dominican salon I have ever been to. I really loved how the owner speaks to you and greets you and listens. My hair came out great...got the free mask thanks to mentioning your blog and she was happy to hear your blog name too :)

I agree its a bit more expensive than what I am used but I don't mind pay $10 more for quality of service and products.
I will be going back Saturday to get my hair done for my bday!

Thx for the review!

Stephie said...

I just went there a few weeks ago. I got a great haircut and a deep conditioning treatment.

I have really thick, long hair, and it is difficult to cut and treat. Most hair dressers are intimidated by it. The ladies at Elia Salon cut my hair correctly and gave me good advice about how to treat it (and no remarks such as "oh! You have SO much hair!")

Plus, when I told her I found the salon on Beauty Logic, she gave my deep conditioning treatment for free.

I recommend that salon. I will be back once I can afford a blow out. Their only setback is that they are fairly expensive if you live on a student budget.

Jen V said...

Hey there DE,

Just stumbled upon your blog as I was searching, for what seems like the hundredth time, for a decent Dominican Salon in Queens. I grew up in the Bronx, so finding adequate stylists was not a problem. After that, I spent about 4 years in Washington Heights, the mecca of great salons. But now, I'm in Queens and really struggling. I have yet to find a stylist who doesn't apply insane heat to straighten my mane, or gets lost in my violently tangled wet hair. I've had to trek back to the Heights to get my hair done, but only every 3 months to get it relaxed. In the interim, I've been forced to do my hair myself, and let me tell you, it's not easy. I'm not the one that can wash her hair and walk out the door, as I know many of my hermanas out there aren't. It's not fair, and washing my own hair, doing rolos, and blowdrying takes a full day. It's exhausting!!!
Anyway, I have yet to find a good place in Queens, as the word-of-mouth factor is very slim. Your blog surfaced while doing a search online and I instantly felt comforted ;.) It's great to have a quorom that understands our hardships!

But on another note, I have a question. I've been so severely lacking the proper education on Dominican haircare that I don't really know how often to relax it, or what products are best for my type of hair. And speaking of hair type, I see you mention Texture 3b above for someone's hair; how on earth do you find out what texture you are? I have no idea what texture I have, I just know that my hair is difficult y muy mala gente. It misbehaves constantly, it has a mind of its own. Is there a manual I missed out on? I apologize if this is a silly question, but I need help with this.

I hope to hear from you soon, and thank you for making all this information available to us, it's very necessary and quite refreshing!

kelly said...

Hi,
Did u already hear about a new treatment sucessful in Dominican Republic that call SPAZZOLA PROGRESSIVA from Italy?
This Treatment is fantastic and different of all the other one it protect and give health back to your hair.
Do you want more advantages??? Spazzola progressiva make your hair be with motion like natural one, not like the most of the treatments that make your hair be like unnaturally pin-straight. This is the revolution treatment.
This is the unique product at the market that has EUROPEAN HEALTH CERTIFICATE.

Spazzola progressiva is an innovative process that transforms the hair in its entirety. The treatment is keratin based, that is the primary protein of the skin, hair and nails. This natural substance gives hair the ability to return to its original healthy, shiny, smooth state.

After product is applied, it hydrates the hair and creates a glossy finish.You will be able to wash the hair as soon u finish the process. Your client do not need to wait longs day to see the result. Results are visible immediately after treatment is completed, clients are amazed to say the least. Hair looks healthy and youthful.

Taking care of the hair after the SPAZZOLA PROGRESSIVA is applied is effortless. The amount of time required to style hair will decrease dramatically, in some cases is wash and go. Others require some blow drying and minimum styling time. This treatment restores hair resiliency: humidity, rain or sweat will no longer affect the hairstyle. No more frizzy hair!

The results last two to four months, the treatment fades progressively as hair is washed. As clients repeat the treatment every few months or so, you will be able to observe the improved quality of hair grown after the Spazzola Progressiva was applied.

This revolutionary process was developed in Italy and successful guarantee in Europe and Dominican Republic is now available in United States.
Take a look and see how fantastic it is www. spazzolaprogressiva.com

kelly said...

Hi,
Did u already hear about a new treatment sucessful in Dominican Republic that call SPAZZOLA PROGRESSIVA from Italy?
This Treatment is fantastic and different of all the other one it protect and give health back to your hair.
Do you want more advantages??? Spazzola progressiva make your hair be with motion like natural one, not like the most of the treatments that make your hair be like unnaturally pin-straight. This is the revolution treatment.
This is the unique product at the market that has EUROPEAN HEALTH CERTIFICATE.

Spazzola progressiva is an innovative process that transforms the hair in its entirety. The treatment is keratin based, that is the primary protein of the skin, hair and nails. This natural substance gives hair the ability to return to its original healthy, shiny, smooth state.

After product is applied, it hydrates the hair and creates a glossy finish.You will be able to wash the hair as soon u finish the process. Your client do not need to wait longs day to see the result. Results are visible immediately after treatment is completed, clients are amazed to say the least. Hair looks healthy and youthful.

Taking care of the hair after the SPAZZOLA PROGRESSIVA is applied is effortless. The amount of time required to style hair will decrease dramatically, in some cases is wash and go. Others require some blow drying and minimum styling time. This treatment restores hair resiliency: humidity, rain or sweat will no longer affect the hairstyle. No more frizzy hair!

The results last two to four months, the treatment fades progressively as hair is washed. As clients repeat the treatment every few months or so, you will be able to observe the improved quality of hair grown after the Spazzola Progressiva was applied.

This revolutionary process was developed in Italy and successful guarantee in Europe and Dominican Republic is now available in United States.
Take a look and see how fantastic it is www. spazzolaprogressiva.com

Unknown said...

Well, I went to Elia yesterday and was not impressed.. Not only did she try to charge me $35 for my barely below shoulder lenght hair but she tried to convince me that my regular salon was bad news! Don't get me wrong, the owner is very nice-- however, I cannot justify paying that much for a wash and set in this economy. It is not a chemical process, my hair is in excellent shape and quite honestly, it is not Park/Madison Avenue.

A.

beautylogicblog said...

@amanda, I specifically said the price was higher here than normal salons. sorry that your experience wasn't that great but mine was pretty good. did you at least get the deep conditioner that she supposed to give you if you say you heard about it through beautylogic?

Salon Ipswich said...

If you run a Beauty Salon in Ipswich, you could rent this site and attract hundreds, even thousands of potential customers every month!Click here for more Salon Ipswich info.

Davenz said...

I have experienced the many benefits of going to a GREAT Dominican hairstylist.
Thanks- Custom church doors

Anonymous said...

Have any of you ever been to Confidence Beauty Salon & Spa in Gramercy Park? It's one of my favorite spas in the city, and the only spa I will go to for a brazillian! I heard that you can get 2 waxes for $35 right now with BuywithmeNYC, too! You can't find a better deal than that! Check it out here: http://bit.ly/d5vDY3

Share This

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...