Salon Review #1

Growing up, I was taught constantly that the most beautiful thing about a woman is her tresses. From the moment my mother taught me how to comb my hair, I would do it every night and every morning religiously. It was my pride and glory….still is. I think most Dominican women are taught the same thing, that’s why the salons are such a ubiquity in urban areas. I consider myself an expert of Dominican salons. During my early teens, I went to one every week, and have continued now as a woman in my mid-twenties. With that being said, I’ll be reviewing a new Dominican spot every week, and I’ll start this off by reviewing the salon that was featured in last months Vogue, Maritza’s House of Beauty.
Photobucket


Maritza’s House of Beauty


Pros:
1) My hair did come out nice. But I have had better for way less, and she didn’t give me the look I asked her for.
3) My wash was pretty good.
4) LCD Television-I liked watching Regis & Kelly while I was getting my hair done.
5) My hairstylist was friendly.
Cons
1) They wanted me to pay as soon as I walked in. Who does that?
2) Arbitrary pricing-charged me $40.00, yet charged other girls after me $18.00. My hair is long, but come on!!! I’m not freaking Rapunzel! How do you justify charging me $22.00 more? In my 14 year Dominican salon history, I’ve never been charged over $30.00
3) I think they should have better products. I felt as though their products were on the cheap side.
4) No ear covers. Seriously, I was under the dryer and my ears felt like they would burn off. They need ear covers (especially with the $40.00 I was spending).
5) Their decorum was alright. They should revamp it though. The area around the wash stations should be neater and get rid of those four ottomans.

Out of a scale of 1 through 5 with 5 being superior, I would give this salon a 3. I believe they are quite lucky to have been featured in Vogue magazine. My review for Mirror Image is coming next week so stay tuned.

Here's an after pic of my hair.

Photobucket

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

I LOVE that you're doing these reviews of the salons... I have a problem w/ finding the right salon myself, I usually wear my hair in it's naturally curly state nowadays, but whenever I want my ends clipped and a wash & set I head to my usual neighborhood dominican spot. I don't really like the spot though b/c: 1) they were very unfriendly and 2) charged me a different price every time I went. However, prior to that I used to frequent a spot on 116th & 1st, "Tere's", I used to go to the owner, Theresa, She was the best- very informative, caring and sweet. I stopped going b/c it was just too far for me to travel and if I didn't get there early enough on a Saturday morning it could easily turn into an all day thing.
I look forward to your reviews and am adding you to my blogroll!!!! ; )

beautylogicblog said...

hey wes, whats your blog so i can add yours as well. Hugs. DE

Anonymous said...

sure no prob it's www.honeybrownsugar.com

Product Junkie Diva said...

Your hair looks great though. How did it feel?
Product Junkie Diva

Amina said...

Those reviews are going to be so helpful! I lived in Boston for 5 years and it was difficult to choose a good salon...

beautylogicblog said...

Product Junkie Diva, it felt "ok." She really didn't work on my hair long. Literally after i got out of her chair, she blew dry my hair for like 1 minute, pinned up 1 side of it in the front, and then was done. My hair didn't look like the pic i showed her, but it still looked nice. Im still upset over that price though.

MissBianca said...

I gotta get my butt to the salon immediatamente! I wore braids/cornrows (which I haven't done in like eons) on my trip to MIA recently to not have to worry about my hair getting wet and puffy in the pool/beach. But my hair got knotted after taking the braids out ,since I have a short haircut at the moment I'm rocking the little headband look (lazy!)actually I have no time but I need to go asap like tomorrow fo sho, need to pick up some good salon hair products after work so if you can recommend anything before 5:30pm today ... lol let me know. Gracias for the info darling! Love the hair

beautylogicblog said...

I'm sorry Miss Bianca, i didn't see your post until this morning. If you still need my help let me know and I will recommend something. Hugs, DE

MissBianca said...

I just went and bought some Salerm from the beauty supply since I've used it in the past. Going to Maritza's after work to get a wash and set and hair cut/style. Lady who picked up the phone was rude in telling me how to get there...lol

Roselyn said...

Ooh girl you know how us Dominican women are practically born with red-turbo blow dryers in out hands!!! We hold our expectations high when we walk into hair salons especially here in NYC... I am sooo linking you! We should hook up for lunch one day!

MissBianca said...

I went and got my hair done at Maritza's Salon (119th & 7th) this evening and I will now elaborate on my experience.
First, I called them early in the day to find out their exact location and the lady that answered was dismissive. I get there and as Dominican Enigma stated the lady at the counter with a frown on her face said to pay. As you can see my hair is short, I wanted a wash and set and trim which I paid $28 for. I asked why was it that price when have such short hair and I was told that I didn't have relaxed hair umm, I came in there with my hair curly pushed back in a headband. So I let her know that I had gotten my hair straightened about a month ago so how could my hair be natural as she was insinuating. The same lady washed my hair with my shampoo and conditioner Salerm which made my hair smell so niiiice. The wash was ok but she roller set my hair loose. When I was ready to get my hair blown out she told me to sit in another hair stylist's chair which ended up being nice but was also the lady who was dismissive on the phone because she asked me if I was the girl who called. Anywho my hair came out nice and the lady who said my hair was natural came over and took a look at my hair and smile. I give it a two and the ottomans do have to go.

LBIC said...

Thanks for the review! I don't live in the city, but I'm there a couple of times a year.

IbisCaraib said...

I've been to this salon as well but I prefer Mirror Image. Mostly because I didn't like the pay before we provide service thing.

Monica said...

I was surprised you gave them a 3!! I have been going there for sometime now. When I first went there Maritza charged me $13 for wash, set and blow. When I got my hair cut it was 18. After going there for a while one day she was like it's 35. I was like what? But I paid after (when I always paid before- you are right "who does that")-craziness. So I had no choice but to pay it. They barely speack english so I feel like my hair concerns are brushed under the rug. Maritza always looks tired, angry and ready to go. Where are the smiles?....you are a minority business owner!! The products are so cheap that I bring my own! To top that off they have a sign that says if you bring products they are not responsible for left items. As if the products have legs and will walk away? A normal business would keep it to the side (for atleast a few days)...ie- lost and found. So to me that meant if your leave your good stuff we are going to use it!! On majority of my visits all the patrons are African Americans and the nice LCD tv is on a spanish speaking channel. OMG lets not talk about the NO EAR COVERS. I be dying under the dryer!! The decorum is horrible. That black velvet/cotton couch looks hidious. The area around the wash stations is hidious. The dyers look thrown against the wall with no uniformity. The only reason I continued to go there is bc I could get a decent cut for cheap. But now I am on a hunt for a new dominican shop!! Any suggestions???

Share This

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...