ALWAYS TAKE CARE OF YOURSELF NO MATTER WHAT!

Photobucket

About a month ago, I met up with my best friend from when I was in Junior high school. She had moved to Georgia years ago. We'd always kept in contact through instant message, e-mail, and the phone but I hadn't seen her in over 10 years. She was back in town (staying a block away from my house with her aunt.) So she came over my apartment on a Sunday afternoon. Now, when I knew this girl over ten years ago, she was stunning. She took care of herself, loved herself. But, when I saw her again, I was so surprised. This once beautiful girl, had morphed into someone who clearly didn't care about herself at all. Her clothes looked bad and stained. Her hair was a dry mess with dandruff clearly visible, and her skin didn't look great either. I was in shock. Now, when it comes to my friends, I'm very honest. I asked her what was wrong. I knew she had just gotten out of a bad relationship. A relationship where the guy verbally abused her, made her feel unimportant and unattractive, and I guess in short she believed the abuse and felt worthless. She said to me, "What's the point in even trying." I've always been the type who says,"If you look good, you feel good." Abuela (grandma) used to always tell me that you can feel your worst, but if you make yourself look good, you'll feel better. I find that to be very true. After I spoke to my girlfriend for a while, I told her I wanted to take her to lunch but I wanted to make her up first. She reluctantly agreed. She washed her face. I washed her hair and began to work my Dominican magic on it, lol. (I used Aubrey hair products by the way.) After I finished, she was in shock at how shiny and beautiful her hair looked. I applied some makeup on her, from eyes shadows to blush, and some gloss (that I had not yet tried but I have to review it because it looked amazing on her) and then some of my tinted moisturizer. The transformation was insane. She looked like my old beautiful friend again, and when she saw herself, she was so happy. She gave me this great big smile, and it seemed like maybe her old self-esteem had returned. It was such a good feeling. When we walked down the street, guys were trying to hit on her, and she told me smiling, that, that hadn't happened in years. Our lunch was great! We talked about old times, and about my favorite subject, BEAUTY!

Anyway, the reason I'm writing this is yesterday she sent me a beautiful e-mail thanking me telling me she's feeling so much better now. She has a lot more growth to go through (her ex was such an evil jerk) but it's a great start. My advice to you though, is even when you're feeling your worst, don't stop taking care of yourself, love yourself, show everyone else that you feel important by giving a lot of consideration to your appearance, and you'll end up feeling a lot better.

Hugs,

DE

13 comments:

Charlene said...

Yes this is true....with a little effort, lookswise, u can help lift your spirits...great post hon, we all need little reminders of this!

Vanessa S said...

She is very lucky to have you as a friend!!!!

Halifax @ Sparkled Beauty said...

Sometimes it takes a great friend like you to help someone get out of a bad relationship/ experience. You are a great friend. Confidence is the best thing a woman could have. Beauty will come after that. Thank you!

Natakue said...

this was such a sweet thing for you to do for her, DE. sometimes all we need is for a friend to remind us how beautiful, smart and deserving we each really are. you can forget that when dealing with all the ugliness in the world.

i know i sometimes start feeling down and i close myself off from people because i don't want to burden them with my problems, or i'm embarrassed, or i just don't realize how depressed i'm feeling. it's always then that i realize how truly blessed i am that God has surrounded me with such amazing people. they can hear it in my voice or see it in my face that something is wrong, and they do what friends do...listen, hug, cry, laugh, pray, cook, party, sing, tell you the truth, whatever it is you need at the moment. never fails!

i'm very happy that your friend is getting her confidence back. good luck to her! =)

Cinthia said...

that was a great post...have to remember that whenever i feel down and out!

Anonymous said...

so true. i've been neglecting myself lately. thanks for this.

Lisa Mateo said...

I love this post! You are such a good friend.

Jo-Ann said...

I completely agree!!! I work for the state of NJ and a lot of the workers here comment that I "dress up" and that I'm so "girly" but they also comment on how I'm always happy and in a good mood. 1/2 of the reason I feel good about myself and have a pleasant demeanor is because I take care of myself each morning and that's whether I'm going to work or not. Your friend is going to be amazed on how fast her healing starts now that she's focusing her attention on herself.

Great post DE.

hypnotic said...

You are a great friend. Lovely post.

Product Junkie Diva said...

I agree DE, when you look good you will feel good too in many cases.
I'm glad your friend is on the road to recovery.
PJD
P.S. I like the new pic for your vision board...each day is a step closer for you YAYAY!

Wes said...

True friends come a dime a dozen... You're one of those dimes ;-)

Jai said...

I agree I always make a bit more of an effort when I'm not feeling well. I do always feel good when I look good. I work in a very casual office (tshirt and jeans daily) and I always dress up my jeans with a nice top and shoes. And makeup never hurt anyone! I'm glad that your friend got a great pick me up!

Maria said...

What a beautiful post - I loved reading this. As someone who changed from "just don't care" to "serious girly girl with mojo" I am so moved that you helped your friend.

Peace, Maria

Share This

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...