Life Advice: Don't Compare Your Journey or You're Asking For Failure

Hey loves, how was your weekend? I honestly did a lot of house cleaning, and that’s it. For some reason this year, 2011, I’ve become a neat freak. Lol Anyway,  I haven’t done a life advice post in awhile but this weekend, I was with a girlfriend, and I knew I had to do one. My girlfriend is this beautiful, intelligent college grad with an amazing career. However, she doesn’t feel like she is where she should be. She feels she should be a lot more accomplished, based on what other people she knows are doing. She constantly compares her journey and her life to others, and every time she does that, guess what, she ends up losing sight of all her accomplishments and feeling DEFEATED and depressed. I’m telling you now comparing your journey to others is a huge mistake and it's so  dangerous for you. As she was complaining, I was in shock. This girl is so amazing, so smart, so brilliant, so beautiful, so accomplished, but because of her comparing her journey to someone else’s she feels she has done absolutely nothing with her life. I couldn't believe when she told me she felt like a "loser." This girl is the farthest thing from a loser. But that's what happens when you compare yourself. You lose sight of how great you are because you're focusing on someone elses greatness.  Comparing your journey to someone elses is the absolute worst thing you can do, because everyone’s journey is different.  Everyone has a different life circumstance, and being upset because someone has more than you, or has gotten a little farther than you is the worst thing you can do because it will make you lose sight of all you’ve accomplished.

You have your own life, your own gifts, your own talents, your own network, your own journey, and just because someone might be doing a little more than you are NOW, doesn’t mean that things won’t change in the future for you.  However, the first thing you have to do is NOT COMPARE YOUR JOURNEY TO THEIRS. Focus on your life, focus on becoming the best you can be in your field, and honestly be happy for someone else when they reach success, but then go back to focusing  on making YOU better. All that energy you’re wasting focusing on someone else could be used to advance your career or whatever you want to do in your life. Remember you can do anything, as long as you believe you can. Here’s a great quote by Henry Ford:

Whether you think you can or you think you can’t, you’re right.

Remember that!

Hugs,

Milly

Ps: Later on today I'm kicking off my 4 year anniversary giveaways.
First giveaway is 2 clarisonics for you and a person you love. Details will be up soon

9 comments:

MakeupByRenRen said...

you are amazing...i just had this talk with a girlfriend last night, perfect timing and great advice!

Shabby said...

i love this post! great advice.

Natakue said...

I read an article on this recently. It must be something in the air.

This is great advice. I think this happens to a lot of people, but some of them are able to take a step back and realize they're overreacting. Others sometimes need friends or loved ones to slap some sense into them, haha! My friend used to tell me this whenever I complained about how my finances or living situation was not where I'd wanted it to be at my age. She had to remind me that I went to grad school and changed careers, so most of our friends have had a 3 year head start on me, so relax, haha! Common sense, right? But sometimes we're just too close to it to see the bigger picture. That's what friends are for.

I'm so going to share this article, and pay it forward.

LaTosha Johnson said...

This is a fantastic post! I often preach this to my friends, but I have to admit--sometimes I fail to take my own advice. Thanks for the reminder! :)

Nichole said...

This is a good reminder. Thanks! It's so true. Having success and money is so fragile as well so even if you ever get to where you think you should be, you could lose your job, become ill etc. etc. and it all be gone overnight. Concentrating on your inner happiness that doesn't come from material wealth and success is equally if not more important.

Caitlyn said...

your article is beautiful..
i am going to talk this

Wordpress Services

Catherine said...

I love your lifestyle posts! I must admit I do often find myself comparing my life to others and am trying to break the habit. This is great advice and a great reminder that thinking like this doesn't pay off!

Anonymous said...

Great Advice!

MarianaLuisa said...

Great advice! I often find myself doing exactly that and in a result feeling the same way your friend felt. I've been trying to remind myself of all the amazing things I've accomplished in order to give me the extra boost to accomplish my goals at my own pace. Thanks for reminder to do so today :)

Share This

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...