Breast Cancer Awareness Month A Personal Story




A few years ago  I was having a horrible birthday. It was one of those birthdays where the most important people in my life, seemed to have forgotten about my special day. It was traumatizing to say the least. By 2:00pm when I hadn't heard from them, rather than stay home depressed, I decided to treat myself to a pedicure/manicure. When I got to the salon, I was downright miserable. I go crazy for my friends birthday so it was really heart breaking to me that my most important friends hadn't remembered mine. While I was sitting down getting my pedicure, this  woman who was also getting a pedicure,  asked me what was wrong. Usually i would have just kept it to myself, but I got overwhelmed with emotion and began crying and told her that it was my birthday and no one had called me. All of a sudden this spunky little lady started singing Happy Birthday to me and asked the whole salon to chime in. I was embarrassed, but honestly she made me crack my first smile that day. Then she proceeded to give me one of the most wonderful lectures ever "Don't ever wait for people to celebrate you, celebrate yourself." She then convinced the staff at the salon to give me the manicure and pedi for free because it was my birthday.  I can  honestly say meeting that woman was probably one of the best things ever. Before I left she gave me a big hug and we exchanged information.  I left that salon feeling really good, and later on in the night, I found out my friends had remembered, and they were throwing a suprise birthday dinner for me at Tao. Anyway, that was about seven years ago, and every year after that, I made sure to call that woman on her birthday, which was April 11. This year, I was moving around that time, and was getting ready for lil man and honestly I  totally forgot. When I finally remembered, I kept putting it off. Finally at the end of June, I called her to wish her a very belated bday and to also tell her about my new lil guy.  But when I called her cell, it was disconnected. I thought that was strange. So then I called her house, and a man answered. When I asked for her, he told me that she had died from breast cancer earlier in the year. I can't begin to tell you the devastation I felt.The sadness really hit me.  And my mind went back to that day seven years ago, when that cute little lady had changed my horrible day  to one of pure happiness and she didn't have to do that.  She didn't  even know me.

October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month and in honor of my buddy, I'm making a donation to the Estee Lauder Breast Cancer awareness foundation, I've also made it a point, anytime I see anyone that looks upset or sad, even if I don't know them, I will ask them what is wrong. You never know the impact you will have on someones  life. I will never forget how good my buddy made me feel on my birthday.

For  all the people who have lost someone to any cancer, I'm sending hugs and love your way.
And to my buddy, thanks so much for that day, you will forever be missed.


Hugs,

Milly

11 comments:

Mischo Beauty said...

Such a beautiful story! Thank you for sharing it with us.

Nikkia (Silver Lips) said...

Wow, this post really touched me! Thanks for sharing this!

Cerisa "Bronze Goddess" said...

Thank you for sharing Milly. This really touched me and it's so true that you don't know how your little bit of concern can change someone's day. I also lost a loved one to breast cancer three years ago, My aunt (mom's sis). She was the first African American and first female Justice of the Peace in South Phoenix and was also an Air Force vet. I'm running for her in the 5k in Phoenix this Sunday and hope to keep her memory living on. :)

http://www.azcentral.com/community/nephoenix/citizen/articles/2007/08/10/20070810phx-newsbyyou0810judge.html

Bronze Goddess Beauty

Ms. G said...

Beautiful story, thanks for sharing.

beautylogicblog said...

Cerisa, wow she sounds amazing. blessings on your run. I know your aunt is looking down on you very proud. Hugs,

Lilly said...

Am i the only one who was in tears after this? You're so right. you never know the impact you will have on someone's life.

Nikia said...

My eyes are definitely welling up...thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

Whoa!

My grandma died of breast cancer years ago--and her birthday was April 11th.

Whoa!

Toi said...

I know that this is a late reply to your post, but as I am trying to get caught up on your blog about the latest beauty trends, I never expected such a touching story. As I am a breast cancer survivor myself....nine years to be exact, and I am waiting on the results of my biopsy I just had yesterday. Your story brought me to tears of joy and it made me reflect on something my mother taught me. She says never wait for someone to buy you flowers, buy them for yourself! And to this day whenever i get the urge, I will buy myself a bouqet for my desk at work or home. Each day is a gift, and we must take the time to smell the flowers! Thank you for your blog and may you have many wonderful birthdays to come!

Toi said...

God is good! Benign mass! Get your mamos ladies!

beautylogicblog said...

@toi, So happy that everything came out ok for you.

Share This

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...