Life Advice: Don't Look Down On Anyone!


                           
   Pic courtesy of Amit (An amazing Photographer) Check him out here



There’s a woman who I used to work with that I used to be very friendly with. She was a lot of fun, and had a baby almost the same age as lil man. But then the more I started hanging out with her, the more I realized something; she wasn’t very friendly to service people. One day we went to dinner, and she treated the waitress horribly, the next time I was at her house and a porter came by to fix her clogged toilet, she was just rude to him.  The next time we ordered pizza and she yelled at the delivery guy because he had gone to the wrong apartment first. She constantly kept doing this. After a while I couldn’t take it, and asked her what was her problem. She had the audacity to tell me laughing,“Who cares, they’re nobodies!” From the moment she said that, I knew our relationship would never be the same. After hearing that, I excused myself from her apartment. She’s been trying to contact me since, and I honestly don't have the urge to speak with her at all.   In life, we all have different journeys. Some people can’t do certain things because their life circumstances are different. Maybe they have no money, maybe they have no support, whatever their life situation is, it does not take away the fact that they are human beings as well and deserve the same dignity, and integrity, we would give to any other person. I used to work for a very wealthy man, and I really admired his character. He treated absolutely everyone the same from the delivery guys, to the shoe shine guys, to his gazillion dollar investors. He would make sure to find out all the delivery guys names and would ask them all about their families and their lives.  When I quit the job because I wanted to get out of finance, we had a long talk and I thanked him for always being wonderful, and I told him that I really admired his character. It was then he revealed to me that while in college, he had been a delivery boy, a shoe shiner, and even one time he was so desperate for cash, he went to a nearby town and begged for money. He’s now mega wealthy, and he never forgot the struggles he went through. Don’t ever look down on anyone. Someone else's journey may not be  going as well as yours or they may not be as fortunate,  but one thing never changes, we’re all human, no matter what we do. And all humans deserve to be treated with respect and dignity. There’s a great saying that mommy always used to tell me. I believe it comes from Jesse Jackson:

Never look down on anybody unless you're helping him up.

Remember that….

Hugs,

Milly

22 comments:

Jo-Ann said...

I love this post as well as your blog. You made a very good point. We never know where life can take us and when we may fall from a "better" position in life to a lesser one. It's really better to treat all people with dignity and it makes you a better person when you do.

Tina Beanie said...

You are so right! I've seen so many times people treat others badly when they think they are not "important" only to kiss their asses later when they find out different. So sad. In this day and age people really need to do better.
You should tell her what she did was unacceptable and also let her know that there but for the grace of God, there go she.

Anonymous said...

Well said!!!!

Natakue said...

WOW. I can't believe those words actually came out of her mouth. And she expected you to be ok with it...? Some people >=/

I agree with you. You don't know where someone is on their life journey when you're meeting them. And life changes so quickly, you could always become a "nobody" at any point. Nothing is guaranteed.

I like the quote and will use it in the future.

*ms.angela89* said...

Awwww, my favorite blog from yours since I started reading beside all your mommy ones. ha ha! Don't get me wrong I also love the beauty tips as well but life stories like these just makes my heart grow bigger. I love life stories like these ones. :) I learned not to judge anyone, I love talking to everyone, you hear the most incredible stories ever. When I was still in high school, there was this public speaker guy and he told us a story similar like yours and I haven't forgotten about it. I would love to share it with you Milly.

So the public speaker guy was on business trip and he dropped by this restaurant and while he was dining in there was this old man, he looks dirty and he sat by the window reading his newspaper. When a mid-thirty lady came in with her daughter they sat as far away as possible from the man. After they were done eating, the lady some how forgot her money, and the old man approached them saying he was willing to pay for their meal but she hesitate and said no. So she went to her car, got her wallet and hurried off the restaurant. The public speaker guy approached the old man and asked how come he was willing to pay for her meal. He then took him outside of the restaurant in the back, and he showed him his brand new Mercedes, and told him his life story and that he was the restaurant owner. :D

Have a great day! Never be with those who are negative they will just make you feel awful. <33

Unknown said...

Amen!!!!!!!!!

Jessica said...

I live for your life Advice Post. I love your beauty advice too but your life advice post are my therapy. Thank you so much for them.

MyFashionAddictions said...

this is so touching.. i dont know what else to say. wow. :)

i love your life advice. <3

Cerisa "Bronze Goddess" said...

Wow! I'm so glad you cut her out of your life. All I have to say is KARMA!

Nikkia (Silver Lips) said...

Milly,
This post really made me tear up and really touched me! I agree 150% with you! My grandmother always says that "no matter your walk of life we have one thing in common, we want to feel valued and respected". And "you never know who be the person to hand you a glass of water when you really need it". I personally think you should make your friend aware of her actions. I have a friend like that and after telling her how she was. It wasn't until she was down and out that she realized her actions/attitude towards people and made a change in her attitude toward ppl. Love this post!

Reina, your highness said...

She is totally afraid and in fear, thus she is a meanie.

Karma is going to teach her an awesome lesson.

I don't know a person of any means or success who didn't also start as a person in service?
Customer Service is the core for any company

prettydarkthing! said...

Wonderful post, I really don't enjoy the company of people who treat service people poorly, they're people doing a job too.

Nikia said...

Brought tears to my eyes, very well said. Kindness is a free gift, and you can really affect other people with your vibe. I always wonder about people who behave this way toward others...what do they have to gain by treating so called 'nobodies' this way? Sounds like her soul needs a detox...

ceecee said...

Very sound advice. I hope your neighbor has a change of heart that doesn't involve a rude awakening someday

Style, via Tia said...

Love this!!

Mischo Beauty said...

Thanks for sharing this! Another reason why I HEART you so much. Sharing life lessons such as this is really the beauty of life!

Lavendar said...

Such a valuable life lesson. Thanks so much for your inspiring and uplifting posts!

Calming Diva said...

You are right there are so many time that people look down on others. I always say, before you look down or talk about anyone walk in their shoes for 24 hours.

laurute said...

Very nice blog:)

Anonymous said...

oh, i love this! thank you for reminding us that kindness makes the world go round :)

Anonymous said...

Okay, I officially love your blog!

Anonymous said...

True words spoken!!!

Share This

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...