Milly's Do It Yourself Beauty Recipes

It always amazes me when I go to my country, Dominican Republic, the beauty of the women in the poorest of the villages. None of these women have money to spend on expensive masks or skin products. I remember three years ago, I was in a very poor area of the country visiting  when I spotted this girl, who took my breath away. She had healthy thick black hair up to her waist, and her skin was a beautiful glowing bronze without any marks or anything. When I asked her what her beauty secrets were, she laughed at the question and said "Aceite de Coco" which means coconut oil. She also told me she used "aguacate" which means avocados on her skin. I'm a huge believer in Do It Yourself remedies for your beauty. I  especially used them while I was pregnant. I'm also a huge believer that beauty does not have to cost a fortune. So here are two of my  Favorite Do It Yourself Hair Conditioners. I do a lot of these, but I'm doing a youtube soon on them, so I can't reveal all of them yet.


Coconut & Honey
1) Coconut Oil-Enough said. Read here. 
If you don't feel like reading, here's a quick summary, coconut oil was tested amongst other oils, and was the only oil that actually worked on hair. The others just sat on your hair and did nothing.
2) Honey-powerful humectant that is loaded with vitamins and minerals, that are so essential for shiny hair.
Mix these two together. Apply to hair and leave on for about 15 minutes. Also, massage your scalp. So important  especially for hair growth.
When removing, make sure you rinse hair with water and half a cup of Apple Cider Vinegar. Apple Cider Vinegar will give you the shiniest hair ever, HOWEVER, you will stink  like a straight salad. The smell goes away after a few hours.  I once took the subway right after using the apple cider vinegar, lets just say, the train was packed like crazy with passengers, but strangely, the seat next to me remained empty. LOL
If you're scared of smelling like a salad then I highly suggest you mix it with an essential oil.
You can get coconut oil pretty much at any health food store. Get the unrefined one too.  Lately though I've been making my own. I might do a youtube on that too.

 Bananas for hair
I use organic bananas.(Usually when they are almost black. If you want to increase the speed of getting your bananas almost black stick them in a bag, they'll ripen up a lot faster.). Also, I've heard about using baby food bananas. If you're going to do that, I would only use an organic baby food like Plum Organics. Anyway, if you're going to use regular bananas, you can mash this yourself, or blend with a little bit of water, or even coconut oil, and apply and again massage your scalp with this and spread through the hair. Bananas are LOADED with vitamins and Potassium, which are great for helping you get the sexy back in your hair.  I had heard about bananas and their benefits but never thought to try it until I watched Dr. Oz and he talked about how bananas are a great  deep conditioner. If you want to really shine up your hair, rinse with apple cider vinegar and water.


Hope this helps.
Also, a great thing about Coconut oil is you can use it for so many things.
1) Removing eye makeup
2) Moisturizing your dry winter skin. Mix it up with an essential oil if you're not comfortable with the smell.
3) Cook with it. I make a mean coconut salmon using coconut oil.
4) Someone on twitter recently tweeted to me about using it as a mouth wash. Not sure if I'd do that, but hey, they said it's great for preventing tooth decay.

Do you want to share some of your Do it Yourself Beauty Recipes?

Have a great weekend!
Hugs,

Milly

10 comments:

MyFashionAddictions said...

I LOVE these tips! Can't wait to see the video. I'm inspired to try these out. Had no idea about bananas.

Unknown said...

I love bananas always makes my hair so soft, recently I used baby banana foods on my hair, did a review on my blog, check it out.

Coconut Oil is truly amazing I like to use it as a pre poo for my oil treatments.

Cerisa "Bronze Goddess" said...

I love coconut oil! It is always a main ingredient in my homemade hair masks and body lotions. It helped me grow my hair waist length after I stupidly colored it with permanent hair color. When I lived in Puerto Rico a few years ago, all my Boricua sisters and Dominicana cousins used coconut oil and had beautiful hair so I jumped on board. Now when everybody asks how I grew my hair so long I say coconut oil!

Anonymous said...

Milly, first and foremost, I love your blog!!! With that said, thank you, thank you, thank you for this post. I have very long, jet black, wavy/curly hair that is at my waist. However, wearing it in a bun all the time (because of work) has made it dull and frizzy. This is just what I needed. Funny thing, I am from Belize and got some pure coconut oil a few years ago and it is still good. Can't wait for the videos.

Erica said...

Awesome. I use The Body Shop Banana shampoo and once tried to use real bananas for my hair. Gonna try again.

Irum Mahmood said...

These tips are amazing! Great job! Please check out and subscribe to my blog too! I'm subscribing now!!! Thanks :)

xoxo,
Miss Nine West

http://thebeautyfashionandhealthblog.blogspot.com/

Henar said...

Fantastic tips, I love this!! ♥
xx

Henar
...OH MY VOGUE!

Catherine said...

Thanks for this post! I have been looking into making homemade products for a while now, so have found this interesting. Looking forward to your youtube!

Henar said...

Aww, this is very beautiful!!
I love it!! ♥
xx

Henar
...OH MY VOGUE!

Anonymous said...

My Mom grew up in Belize and all of her remedies were from the "earth"! When I hit my teens and got acne, she forbid me to use Oxy or anything else. She took away my soap and gave me Apple Cider Vinegar, Castor Oil and Aloe Vera. Not a dark mark on my face! I also had to eat those same 3 ingredients- and she would say in patois- as inside, so is outside SWALLOW.
As for my hair it is THICK, STRONG and HEALTHY because I never used commercial shampoo but always ACV & olive oil/castor oil

Share This

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...