One of DE’s Beauty SECRETS (Shhhh don’t tell anyone)

Yesterday I went to pick up my friend’s daughter from school. This little girl reminds me so much of myself when I was her age. She’s eleven years old, super shy, full of life, and a huge book worm. Unlike me though she’s incredibly adorable, (I was kind of funny looking growing up). Here’s a pic:

Photobucket
DE at 12

Anyway, currently she’s going through what many of you probably went through at her age- serious pimples. Growing up, I suffered from severe acne. My dermatologist recommended so many things from plain Benzol Peroxide to Retin-a and a whole bunch of other stuff. Nothing seemed to alleviate my condition so of course I was incredibly upset. Like many kids who grow up in inner city areas, I was constantly surrounded by sodas and juices that cost 50 cents and were loaded with sugars and massive chemicals. I would drink about three of those a day. My Mom would warn me that all those drinks were causing my pimples but I never paid attention (who listens to their mom when a teen lol?). However, after years of getting teased and dreading looking in the mirror, I became desperate and decided it was time to start doing what Mommie prescribed. So guess what? I began to solely drink water. All the 50 cents sodas and juices I would buy from the local bodega were thrown away and replaced with this:
Photobucket
Although it was a slow process, my skin got better. My greasy acne filled face finally began to clear up and after a few months of just drinking water, I rarely suffered from breakouts. Now as a woman in my mid twenties, I see not only the anti-acne effects of water but the anti-aging effects as well. Many of my colleagues (who never drink water) look a lot older than I do, and already have lines on their faces. I’m proud to say that I still get carded when I buy lotto tickets. (I only play when 200 million or more.) Hey you never know!!!!!!

Sometimes the simplest solutions are the best ones. If you go to the islands of the Dominican Republic and Jamaica, you'll see the poorest women with the most beautiful and luminous skin. They don't have money to purchase $300 products, but luckily water is the most affordable and widely-available beauty product ever.

How much water do you drink a day? Any beauty secrets or remedies you want to share?


Hugs,

DE

13 comments:

BonafideLatina~ said...

Hi DE!

Wow I was a funny looking nena also growing up and I also had a bad case of acne - long story! But it's okay we all turn out to be beautiful butterflies and in the end we don't take our TRUE beauty for granted by thinking the external beauty is the most important.

Anyways, I can relate to your story of stopping your drinking soda. When I was in 9th grade I was watching some TV special and model Veronica Webb said that she didn't drink any soda b/c she knows the chemicals affect the way your skin will look as you get older - for some reason that made me stop LOL. I see the difference in my skin vs the skin of folks that are addicted to Diet Coke. lol

And tell your friend's daughter that pimples don't define her. She is beatiful.

BonafideLatina

Product Junkie Diva said...

LOve the pic. You are so right water is the best beauty treatment. I drink abotu 8 glasses a day but I really need to step that up to 1 gallon.
PRoduct Junkie Diva

justme said...

i dont drink nearly as much water as i should. i need to step it up. i do think that reduction in sugar intake helps too.

i think working out may help too but i dont do that nearly enough as well.

Roselyn said...

Wow, you really took it back! LOL...Lovin' it! As for the H2O, yes it is my fave! My mother however can probably drink a gallon a day. I normally go through 3 small bottles of fiji while at work and then drink about a half gallon at home, so all in all I would say about 10-8 ounce glasses. Perhaps more. But then again, I'm always thirsty! I cant ever get enough agua! ;)

Mischo Beauty said...

Ok- you are too cute! I totally agree with you. I drink TONS of water- well that and green tea! Sometimes I can just look at the skin of people and just tell they have a poor diet- it's sad when it's by choice!

Anyway, there are very basic things I tell my clients they can do without them having to spend a ton on products:

1. Get adequate sleep (this is the time when your skin renews/regenerates itself!)
2. Eat fresh green vegetables as much as you can
3. Take a multi-vitamin daily
4. Drink a minimum of 8 glasses of water daily

Loved your post!:)

Calming Corners said...

Water does wonders... as for the pic you were a glamazon in the making :)

Unknown said...

I try. I really do. But I still live in the neighborhoods where soda costs 50cents. Water is the last thing I reach for (especially when it costs $1 and that C&C Ginger Ale soda botle looking at me with its 50cent price tag).

But you're so right. Dominican women (and I'll say Haitian since I'm both) don't have a line/wrinkle on there face. You'd never guess how old my mom is...

Wes said...

Hey I too was a "super-shy bookworm" growing up! Fortunately though I never had a problem with acne. I don't drink as much water as I probably should but while I'm at work I try to drink as much as I can (since we have access to free bottles of it) lol.

B. Fly said...

I really like your blog. Water is, indeed, a beauty secret. It helps with lots of other issues too.

beautylogicblog said...

BonaFide, I've told her that as well.
PJD: I try to drink 1 gallon a day too, but i live in the bathroom if i do that. I do around 8 glasses.
JustMe: Reduction in sugar intake is essential for great skin. Dr. Nicholas perricone says that sugar will age you tremendously.
Roslyn: i think what you currently drink is adequate but increasing your water amount is great too!
mischo beauty -as usual, your advice is right on the money.
Calmingcorners, lol, thats what I tell myself everytime I look at that pic.
Fashion Darling-I grew up in South Jamaica, which is definitly "the hood" and I'm fully aware of the amount of crappy drinks that you are exposed to. However, instead of picking up those 50 cent drinks grab the 50 cent Twin Mountain Waters that are next to those cheap drinks. that will be much better or you in the long run.
Wes: you're skin looks flawless now too.
b.fly, thank you so much for reading. It's truly appreciated.

Hugs to you all,
DE

Girl-Woman said...

What a cute pic. I sip on green tea all day long. I don't know that it's a beauty secret, but it's my health secret.

LBIC said...

I 100% agree. I stopped drinking soda and juice after I graduated from high school and even though I've never had an acne problem, I noticed a huge difference in my skin. I've always had oily skin and it helped even with that. Now I only keep water in my fridge. And vodka, but that's actually in the freezer.

antithesis said...

my skin does do better when im drinking more water. i need to get better and drink water exclusively. juice isnt so bad but whenever i drink a soda, it shows up on my face.

Share This

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...