Dominican Salon Review # 4 Sister's Unisex in BK

Note: There are no pics of the interior of this salon because they wouldn’t allow me to take any. They didn’t even want me to take a pic of the front of the salon until I got the owner’s permission, but you know I took it anyway (it’s not that serious).

Anyway, I recently went to Sisters Unisex in Brooklyn. A few of my readers had e-mailed me about this spot so I went. Apparently there are four of them, two in Brooklyn and two in Manhattan. I went to one in BK (2 train). Let's Begin:

Photobucket

Interior: The salon is a pretty decent size but they sure do a lot for the space they have. There are over twenty-seven hair-drying stations in this salon and twelve hair-do areas. (I was in and out of this salon in an hour and a half.) There are four hair-wash areas as well. They have these annoying green signs all over the salon that have different warning to the customers like: Only children getting their hair done are allowed to be in the salon, or, we can’t do your hair if it’s dirty, or no cell phones allowed while washing your hair, or you have to pay before you deep condition. I feel like a salon should be welcoming, and those signs weren’t at all. The salon is pretty standard in decoration. Green leather hair drying chairs. Nothing overly pretty about it. Two flat screen tv’s in the front.

Products: I saw Wella & Chi products but I mostly saw Perfect for Perms, Olive Oil and Dominican Products. Not top-notch products but not ridiculously cheap either.

Customer service: I walked in on a Wednesday Morning. For a weekday and for an early morning, I was surprised at how many people were getting their hair done already. It was like 9:00am and there were eight or nine people there. I was immediately greeted by a lady with a smile who asked me what I wanted to get done. I advised her that I came for a wash/set and she led me directly to the back to get my hair washed. Thinking about that hair wash is getting me excited! That was one of the most soothing, and therapeutic hair washes I’ve ever had in my life. She was massaging my scalp directly on my itchy spots as if I had told her where they were. It was so relaxing and felt amazing. I was almost crying when she stopped.

I was then immediately put into a chair and a young lady began setting my hair with rollers. I notice no one was overly conversational but I think it’s because they didn’t know if I spoke Spanish or not (for some reason people never think I’m Dominican). Anyway, she gave me ear covers which was a major plus for me and put me under the dryer. As I was under there, I observed two girls getting their hair done and I’ll be honest, I was very impressed. One had around texture 4b hair, and I’d say the other had around 3a hair, and their hair came out very full, shiny, and volumous. I noticed that they don’t like to use the curling iron too much; they’ll use their fingers more. Anyway when I was done drying (it went by really fast) I walked up to the same lady that had done the other girls hair, and asked her to do my hair. I told her I wanted my hair with a little bit of volume, and she began blow-drying and curling sections of my hair with pins. Although my hair didn’t come out quite what I was expecting, it came out pretty cool. The same lady that did my hair had done the other two girls hair and their hair looked incredible. Oh, another good thing is this salon opens at 7:00 am and they take the last customer at 8:30pm (great for if you want to get your hair done before and after work.)

Photobucket
FYI: I cut 4 inches off of my hair last week.

Price: My price was $25.00 but if you hair is short they charge $15.00, if it’s shoulder length it’s $20 and if it’s long $25.00. If you want some highlights, it’s $65.

Anyway after I was done, I asked the lady in the front a few questions: I asked her if they were comfortable working with women who did not relax their hair, and she said they were very comfortable working with all types of hair and they do it all.
Cons:

This salon seems to nickel and dime you. If you want to leave with pincurls they charge $5.00 extra for short hair, $10.00 for medium hair and $15.00 or more for long hair. Also, they might want to revamp the interior a little. My hair didn't come out exaclty like I wanted it, but it came out ok. And those signs (ones i discuss in the interior section) are such a turn-off. grrrrrrrrr

We’ll give this spot a 3.5-4.

Sister’s Unisex Four locations in BK & MANHATTAN.

13 comments:

The Crafty Nanny said...

Wow! Your hair looks amazing! They seem a little weird at this place though...with all the rules and signs and not allowing ANY pics...that's odd...but oh well you got FAB hair out of it! :)

Anonymous said...

I went there and I wasnt to fond of it....

Roselyn said...

hmm...not feeling the attitude-packed signs. it seems like the atmosphere may be a tad bit too blunt for me. if anything, like you said i think it should be a welcoming atmosphere not "comemierda" at all. great review however, but I'm still looking forward to my visit to Reaction instead! Darn, I need to get my but to their location Baldwin!

Joi said...

I never get ear covers in Jersey!

Your hair looks great too!

beautylogicblog said...

Tamikia, give us some details.

dcyrill said...

I remember when my hair was permed I used to go to Maribel's in Bklyn. Even though they tried to get you out at a reasonable time, that never happened. But they used to do the butta wash/set for $25. You hair looks gorgeous by the way. :)

MakeupByRenRen said...

i think your hair looks amazing! but the signs are kind of a turn off :(

Wes said...

I've been waiting for this review! Your hair looks great (of course) & I love the layers. I saw the sign in the back of your pic... lol

Luxe Tips said...

You looks great, but your hair is gorgeous all the time! The signs and the fact they charge extra for those who want to leave with pin curls is a definite no no.

Salons and spas this days need to take a course in customer service. I have had bad experiences here in Atlanta also.

Ness said...

Good post! I like the way your hair came out!! BK is a little too far for me...lol
I have a question...how can I find out info on what type my hair is?

Mischo Beauty said...

Well your hair looks beautiful, as always! Great review! No comment on that sign! LOL. :)

Michelle E said...

I love your hair...i also go to sisters! in my profile pic its bouncy and thick courtesy of Sisters!

Since i began going to sisters, i was able to stop relaxing my hair and to just grow it out (i have thick wavy hair). when i need it to look straight, i just go to sisters and get a wash set and blow.

Anonymous said...

Thats not to true they talk too much they have disgusting attitudes but they do a good job

Share This

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...